CharCoat Graphite Sealant (GS) Sealant is a high specification graphite formulation designed to prevent the spread of fire, smoke and gases through openings in fire rated walls and floors. CharCoat GS expands when it is subjected to fire and closes openings around penetrations when any combustable or low temperature melting materials have burnt away.
CharCoat GS is designed to fire seal difficult services which traditional fire rated mastics do not achieve (such as large plastic pipes.) CharCoat GS can be used with a suitable filling material, i.e. stone wool or backing material in order to ensure correct width to depth ratio and to reduce the shrinking of the sealant during curing. Minimum depth and maximum width of the joints are included in the installation instructions. Thermal activation takes place at 150°C when the material will expand (intumesce) to prevent the passage of fire and smoke for periods of up to 4 hours.
CharCoat GS offers the following benefits:
- Classified in most constructions for plastic pipes and cables
- Easy to apply
- High sound insulation
- Low emissions – environmentally and user friendly
- Permanently flexible – will accommodate movement up to 12.5%
- No priming necessary for application to most materials; see the installation instructions for further details
- Suitable for most surfaces, including concrete, bricks, Leca, steel, wood, gypsum, glass, PVC and most non-porous surfaces.
- Hardens quickly, tack free after 1 hour
- The fire performance specification of the joint filler has been derived when the joint filler has been allowed to cure for 30 days
- Minimum 12 months storage time
- 30 years working life
NOTE: E Approval = Integrity | EI Approval = Insulation
Download to get more information on CharCoat Graphite Sealant.