CharCoat IS (formally CharCoat Intu Sealant) is designed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through joints and openings in fire rated walls and floors including openings formed around building service penetrations. CharCoat IS will also maintain the acoustic design performance in walls and floors. CharCoat IS cures when it is subjected to atmospheric conditions, however it will retain a degree of elasticity for joint movement. Under fire exposure, CharCoat IS creates a robust fire seal by the formation of a durable intumescent char.
CharCoat IS can be used with a suitable filling material, i.e. stone wool or backing material in order to secure correct width to depth ratio and to reduce the shrinking of the sealant during curing. Minimum depth and maximum width of the joints are included in the installation instructions. Thermal activation takes place at about 180°C when the material will expand (intumesce) and prevent the passage of fire and smoke for periods up to and beyond 4 hours.
CharCoat IS Sealant offers the following benefits:
- High end formula, certified Worldwide
- Classified for fire sealing all types of constructions and building service penetrations
- Very high sound insulation
- Low emissions – environmentally and user friendly
- Simple to apply with a smooth surface finish
- Permanently flexible – will accommodate movement up to 12.5%
- No priming necessary for application to most materials
- Suitable for most surfaces, included concrete, masonry, steel, gypsum, glass, plastics and most non-porous surfaces
- Hardens quickly, tack free aer 1 hour (the fire performance specification of the joint filler has been derived when the joint filler has been let to cure for a month)
- 18 months storage time (under correct conditions)
- 30 years working life
NOTE: E Approval = Integrity | EI Approval = Insulation